I’ve been quoted as an expert in an Associated Press article by Beth Harpaz, which has been picked up in the Wall Street Journal and many other publications, “Bullies: They’re not just in middle school.”
Some of the questions and my responses are:
- Is the term “bullying” over-used by people who haven’t really been bullied? “There are people who use the term bullying "to get what they want. They use it as professional victims to gain power and control," says Ben Leichtling, founder of BulliesBeGone.”
- Did the coach of the Texas high school team that won 91-0 encourage bullying? “Leichtling's reaction to the Texas football game? "The coach of the good team did what he could" to mitigate the humiliation of the other guys. "If the behavior of the winning team was cruel, nasty, rubbing it in, I would call that bullying," he said. But that's not what happened. He noted that there are other remedies for lopsided victories in kids' sports: Parents might lobby for a mercy rule or rearrange leagues so weak teams don't face powerhouses.”
- Is there bullying outside of junior high school?
- “Leichtling, founder of BulliesBeGone, says "bullying is not only about kids. It happens all the time, in every culture, with people at every age, in every situation, and always has."
- “When he coaches adults coping with bullies on the job or in bad marriages, he offers the same advice used to curb bullying in schools. “You have to say, this behavior is not allowed," Leichtling said. "And you may have to get in the bully's face."
- For years before he became a psychotherapist, Leichtling had a career running research labs. He says it was good training for the anti-bullying work he does now. "Boy, I saw bullying in science," he said. "It's not an ivory tower. Academia is vicious!"
The best way to stop bullying in all situations is to hire Dr. Ben for personalized coaching so you can:
- Develop the strength, courage, will and determination to be and to act your best resolutely, diligently and effectively.
- Develop a plan and master the skills necessary to create the bully-free life your spirit has always hungered for.
Since all tactics depend on the situation, call me at 1-877-8Bullies for expert coaching by phone or Skype.